Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weather station


After months of downtime, I finally got my weather station back up to 100% functionality last night. I still need to pull a Mac mini or iMac into the house to serve up the weather data to the web along with the 3 cams I've got around the yard ; and since I'm home all this week I think I'll have time to get that installed.

My weather station is an Oregon Scientific station model WMR968. It has inside/outside temp, barometric pressure, a rain gauge, and of course, wind speed/direction. All the sensors are wireless and have little solar chargers built into them. It was one of the first things I added to the house 2 years ago when we moved in, and the flagpole on the boathouse where the anemometer is installed on is actually the aluminum mast from my old Mistral IMCO One Design rig.

I had designed the flagpole installation such that during the summer I can move it to the dock where the wind is unobstructed and get more accurate readings of actual wind conditions on the water and avoid the issues of the tree wind shadows in its normal location.

If you've thought about a weather station, there are a lot of really cool ones out there and most of them are wireless making installation a breeze. (pun intended)

No comments: