Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Maui board test : Day 5 part II



Ok, so the wind did come up today after blowing offshore and Kona, but we were all headed in different compass headings and there was no way we were going to be back into the "Groundhog Day" of rigging, testing, de-rigging today.

As we headed east up to Haiku, Hookipa looked good and after a quick stop at Quatro where the boys were unloading 300 new Goya sails, Callista and I headed back to Hoo to check it out. Carl was there checking out the action and within no time I was rigged on a 5.3 and headed out.

In the world of windsurfing, sailing Hookipa is a rite of passage. A coming of age, one more notch on your mast base. And while I've done it plenty of times before, this quick sesh wasn't anything to write home (ie blog) about, until I went down and while getting turned around to waterstart I kicked a coral head.

Now, forever engrained in my head will be this late afternoon sesh where I experienced a little bit of hot searing pain. Just enough to make sure I never forget how, even on small days, Hoo can bite ya when you aren't paying attention.

Still, the water color offshore from Hookipa is some of the prettiest water in the world. Even with a little bit of my blood mixed in.

Aloha!

No comments: