Thursday, October 23, 2008

The need for SPEEEEED!


This coming weekend the forecast is for West Gale force winds to 40 knots. While I'd love to hammer around on a 4.7 and my little RRD, I've got an itch to scratch, and that itch is speed. Since I didn't get to do runs on Lake Okabena and crack out some of the new go fast toys, I'm inclined to head up to Oconto and spend some time burning lanes offshore.

Here's the google map link.


Oconto has a great setup for this weekends west gales. The breakwater has parking at the end of it, so when you launch from the end, you are right into the wind. No shlogging - and since I'll be on a 75 liter board, this is a good thing.

Secondly, runs to the north of the breakwall are in fairly flat water just offshore. Shallow enough that no real chop will develop and offshore enough for the wind to be unobstructed and steady. Port tack looks to be favored off of the launch with the 110-120 degree optimal heading.

Also - with the low air temps, being able to stage off of the nice, warm truck is also very inviting. ;-)

So, I'll be headed out to Oconto on Sunday provided the forecast holds and I think it will. iWindsurf has an average 32 knots and NWA has 28-37 knots for the location.

If you are interested in hooking up for this, drop me an email!

UPDATE : The forecast has been upgraded to gales to 45 knots. Sweet!
.SUNDAY...WEST GALES TO 45 KNOTS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
WAVES 6 TO 10 FEET BUILDING TO 12 TO 16 FEET.

1 comment:

carrera said...

I will be right up! ...... NOT!

Just remember not to look up at the sail when you jibe and pop the sail, the chunks of ice coming down hurt when they hit you in the face! ;)